Blu-Ray, event & projects
February 05, 2010
First of all, note that you can now follow Tom Hanks's tweets by taking a look at our sidebar. We've integrated Tom Hanks's Twitter account there, we thought it may be easier for you.
Tomorrow evening, Tom Hanks will visit Solano Community College to raise money for SCC theater arts programs. You can read two articles about his visit in our press archive.
Additional special features from the original DVD release include commentary with director Ron Howard, Apollo 13 commander Jim Lovell and his wife Marilyn, and featurettes :
- "Lucky 13: The Astronaut's Story" : a "Dateline" television piece recounting the events of the mission.
- "Lost Moon: The Triumph of Apollo 13," the making of the film including behind-the-scenes footage and interviews.
- "Conquering Space: The Moon And Beyond," recapping of the last 45 years in space.
By the way, captain James Lovell will be honored with the 3rd Annual Lincoln Leadership Prize on February 11 in Chicago and Tom Hanks will attend the ceremony as presenter.
The other day we told you Tom Hanks and Rita Wilson had made a donation to the Great Lakes Theater Festival... well this time they made a donation for the conservation work at the famous Rosslyn Chapel, which was seen in the movie The Da Vinci Code. The chapel's fundraising manager Dianne Stein said "Tom Hanks sent a very generous donation." You can read an article about this in our press archive.
- The Pacific : it seems like Tom Hanks will attend the screening of a sneak peek of the 10-part miniseries at the John F. Kennedy Library, in Boston, on March 3rd.
- The Lost Symbol : Tom Hanks still hasn't signed on for it (even though he said he'd be ready to do it) but Steven Knight (Eastern Promises) has been hired to adapt the novel into a screenplay.
- The Long Fall : HBO continues their collaboration with Tom Hanks & Gary Goetzman ! Jonathan Demme, who directed Philadelphia, and Walter Mosley will co-write a pilot based on the novelist's new detective series The Long Fall. Demme will direct the pilot, and the series will be overseen by Tom Hanks’s production company, Playtone.
- The Story of Edgar Sawtelle : Last year we told you that Tom Hanks and Oprah Winfrey would be co-producing, through their respective companies, The Story of Edgar Sawtelle. Universal Pictures has hired William Broyles Jr. to adapt the novel written by David Wroblewski. William Broyles has already worked with Tom Hanks since he's the one who has scripted Apollo 13, The Polar Express and Cast Away. It's also said that Tom Hanks would like to use the performance-capture, the same way James Cameron did for Avatar, and that he would play one of the characters... one of the three dogs. No director has been hired yet.